In honour of the LGBTQ+ community, TikTok is launching a series of events to celebrate Pride. From this weekend and throughout July, TikTok will be launching a series of LIVEs led by LGBTQ+ trailblazers and community allies, new hashtag challenges, as well as an LGBTQ+ takeover on the Sounds page highlighting the best and brightest LGBTQ+ artists and tracks to celebratePride 2020.
TikTok is the home of uniquely authentic content and stories and the new series aims to build on this inclusivity and encourage more community members to share their experiences in a safe and supportive space.
Diana Ross’s iconic track, I’m Coming Out, is making a massive comeback as part of TikTok’s #ImComingOut hashtag challenge, with over 133 million people already using the song to share stories of how they’re coming out on the issues and for the people that matter to them most.
TikTok will also be partnering with and raising money for LGBT Foundation and launching a new Donation Sticker for the Foundation. Funds raised will help LGBT Foundation deliver advice, support and information services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans communities across the country.
Here’s TikTok’s 2020 Pride Schedule:
TikTok LIVEs for Pride 2020
As part of TikTok’s Pride programme, some of the UK’s biggest LGBTQ+ creators and allies will be coming to TikTok LIVE to connect with their fans through Q&As and interactive content. The Pride activity kick starts with a focus on beauty and transformations. Some of the voices taking to TikTok to share their pride glow up tutorials, tips and favourite looks include:
- 17:00 25th June – Female drag queen @Wyntirose famous for her incredible drag cosplayer
- 17:00 29th June – Gay couple @matthewandryan known for their laid back laughs
- 18:00 30th June – Make-up artist @KeilidhMUA, who whips up fierce make up looks
- 18:00 1st July – Leading beauty creator @abbyrartistry and Drag Queen @ellis_atlantis
- 18:00 6th July – Pranksters @SebbyJon and @Montykeates
LIVES will run throughout the month of July with more names to be announced.
Hashtag Challenges for Pride 2020
- #ImComingOut (live now) – The challenge brings back Diana Ross’ iconic track and calls on users to post a video that encapsulates what or who they are coming out for – be it a person, cause or personal journey. The challenge encourages users to share their stories, support and learn from one another. It has already reached over 142 million views as the TikTok community embraced Pride 2020.
- #PrideIcon (28th June) – The LGBTQ+ community is one of the most supportive, so tell us about someone from the community who inspires you, has supported you and who deserves to be celebrated for Pride. In short, tell us who your #PrideIcon is.
- #PrideVibes (5th July) – Share with the TikTok community how you are getting your #PrideVibes on with your favourite makeup looks. Give us your best drag look, dig out the rainbows and glitter, and put on your makeup for this years Pride party!
Who to follow this Pride
Here’s TikTok’s pick of the LGBTQ+ trailblazers on the platform, to help educate and entertain you this Pride month:
- Tanya Compass @Tanyacompas is an activist, campaigner and motivational speaker. Follow Tanya for advice on youth LGBTQ+ organisations young people can engage with, fashion tips and her unique take on some of the most popular TikTok challenges. Tanya is dedicating her #ImComingOut video this year to “everyone queer and black”.
- Wednesday Holmes @wednesdayholmes is a trans non-binary artist whose TikTok videos give a behind the scenes peek at how they create their masterpieces. Wednesday is a Queer community organiser with Voices 4 London and Far and Pride.
- Gay couple @handluggageonly are better known as Yaya and Lloyd. Follow the pair for enviously good travel, food and photography. From the cheapest European beach holidays to UK based roadtrips Yaya and Lloyd have all your post lockdown holiday plans sorted
- Tarek Khwiss @tarekkhwiss is a Muslim drag queen and dancer. Follow for fabulous make up looks and fierce dance routines that will help you feel fly this summer
- Asexual creator @Stevenmcknell brings the boldest and best comedy and lipsycnc skits that will get you in the mood for Pride 2020.
- Lily-Rose @itslilyrose is your one stop shop for hilarious, relatable skits. Often seen with her friends KT, Sebby Jon and Monty Keates she’ll get you laughing and saying ‘that’s so true!’ in no time at all.
Commenting on TikTok’s Pride campaign, LGBT Foundation Director Debra Nixon, said:
“We are incredibly excited to have been chosen as one of TikTok’s charity partners. Over the past few months, our services have faced an unprecedented increase in demand. Our partnership with TikTok will help to raise vital awareness and funds, ensuring that now more than ever we can be here for every single LGBT person that needs us.”