If you’re looking to spice up your sex life, there are loads of different types of sex toy to choose from. Moreover, what sex toys you choose will depend on a few factors such as what gender you are, if the toy is for solo play or play with a partner (or partners), if you want immediate satisfaction or whether you want to “ride” it out for a while. If you are looking for new ways to experience euphoric highs, this quick guide is a good starting point.
What Is A Sex Toy?
These are items that come in all shapes, sizes, and colours. Their primary purpose is to help you reach orgasm by yourself. However, they can also be used with a partner. In fact, many toys are better when used with someone you love as they can bring your sex lives to unimaginable highs.
Why Use One?
A sex toy is an excellent option for many reasons:
- They enhance the pleasure that arises from form sex.
- They can spice up otherwise boring sex life. This is why adding a toy to the mix for married couples can be a brilliant way to connect together again. Sex can become monotonous after a while in a relationship. Therefore a toy will break the monotony, and you will never be able to go back again!
- If you are on your own and standard masturbation just isn’t doing it for you anymore, a sex toy will enhance solo masturbation and make you very happy.
- They will help you to sleep better. The satisfaction of having an orgasm will last for a while afterward, and you will fall deeply asleep as a result.
- They’re fun!
How To Choose One.
Clearly, this topic deserves an entire essay, but to break it down, you should consider what you want to get out of your toy. For example, if you are looking for something a bit more discrete, something like a bullet vibrator will trick. When you have cleaned it, you can put it away in a drawer and forget about it until you need it again. Alternatively, if you do not care what anyone thinks and are a proud, sexually liberated individual, you can go all out and get what’s known as monkey rockers. These devices, also known as a sex glider, are a mixture between a seat, a rocking chair, and a dildo. It is impossible to describe them any other way. Nevertheless, they can bring enormous pleasure to those using them, and they allow you to go as slowly or quickly as you desire. They come in different varieties but be warned, they are somewhat more prominent than the average sex toy. However, if a sex toy’s pleasure correlates with its…size, you definitely won’t be disappointed.
Things To Look Out For In A Sex Toy.
Before jumping into this new and exciting world, you should consider a few things that will make the whole experience far more enjoyable.
The most prevalent material used in the construction of these devices is silicone. This is because it is body-safe, waterproof, and easy to clean. However, several materials are used, so you need to make sure that what you are buying is right for your body.
In other words, if you decide on a vibrator, you will want to ensure that it has a range of settings. Vibrators can be expensive, so you will want one that starts off at a lower setting and allows you to ramp it up when you are ready.
- Think About Lube
Some people can get so turned on that they can pick up a toy and begin immediately. Other people take a little more time to get into the mood. If you are one of those people, then you might want to get some water-based lube to help ease things along. Moreover, if you are going to engage in any kind of butt play, lube is not optional; it is mandatory.
- What Your Budget Is
The price of these toys can start low and end unbelievably high. You should do your research first and if you are just getting started, think about a cheaper model. Once you become more professional, you can think about the more costly options.
What Are The Most Popular Toys To Choose From?
Sex toys have been around for far longer than you might imagine, and this has resulted in millennia of invention and refinement.
The humble dildo is really the OG sex toy. Whatever shape, size, color, or width you can think of, you can double it and still not get a proper understanding of the amount of variation! Some people like them small while others want enormous, but the primary purpose is to bring pleasure. When in the market for dildo, there are a few things that you should consider before making the purchase:
- How you intend to use it: There are different options for vaginal or anal play, and they all have slightly different shapes. Therefore it is helpful to know in which orifice you will be using it the most.
- Ensure it is “body-safe”: This is more than a marketing ploy, and it essentially protects you from inserting something inside of your body that shouldn’t be.
- Aesthetics: It shouldn’t matter, but it does. What your dildo looks like can directly affect the amount of pleasure you receive. You might want one that looks like your partner, or perhaps you fantasise about another look. Whatever you want is up to you; just choose wisely.
- Total pleasure or reality: There is such a wide variety to choose from that you don’t need to choose one that looks like a penis. Furthermore, some have been designed to increase the amount of pleasure that the average shape gives, and these are often pretty wild in design.
- Use online forums: If you are a virgin in the sex toy space, you can consult with others to ensure that you get something right for yourself.
These have been around since the 1880s and were invented because doctors wanted a device to make it easier to calm “hysterical” women (seriously). Nevertheless, those doctors were obviously on to something as they have become extremely popular. Similar to pretty much all of the sex toys, they come in many variations. They can be used in conjunction with other toys but are often used standalone. Some exciting options include:
- Clitoral: These are not intended to be used in a penetrative manner but rather to stimulate the clitoris itself.
- Massage wand: Everyone knows about the innocuous-looking wand. It is excellent for individual or couple usage.
- Bullet: Small, discreet, and perhaps most importantly, portable! You can take this with you anywhere and when the temperature rises and mood dictate, bring it out for some fun.
- Rabbit: Arguably the most famous variety and so-called because the initial models used “rabbit-like ears’ on the tip that stimulated the clitoris. This vibrator simultaneously massages your clitoris while it is being inserted.
- Penis rings: These are worn around the shaft of the penis and will create even more pleasure when penetrating a partner.
- G-spot: These are specially designed to reach the fabled g-spot and ultimately bring you to climax exceptionally quickly.
These are the scary-looking items that you put in your butt. However, they are not scary, and with some practice, you will discover an entirely new realm of satisfaction from using these. It is best to start off slowly and with a smaller, thinner one before moving up to the larger ones. They are an exciting yet often overlooked toy that both men and women can use to reach climax.
As mentioned earlier, you can get vibrating penis rings, but they are so much more. They were initially invented for men suffering from erectile dysfunction but have become a popular toy for their other benefits, including:
- Keeping an erection for longer.
- Improving erection strength, and sometimes ever so slightly increasing the size.
- Increased sensation.
These are quite a recent invention aimed primarily at men, although couples can use them for increased kinkiness. It is so-called because it resembles a flashlight, but for your flesh (subtly has never been a big part of the sex industry). They come in various designs, and the openings can resemble an anus, a mouth, or a vagina. Some of the more premium options also come with different internal textures, further increasing the stimulation.
These are pretty full-on, but once you have broken through to the other side, you will find a whole range of uses for them. They can be used for the woman on woman or woman on man action and really everything in between.
Sex toys were once considered taboo. However, these days, we are fortunate to live in a world where they are a part of many people’s sex lives. The variety is enormous, and you can choose from smaller, more niche choices or go all out and have some serious fun. Just ensure that you choose one with safe materials and do your research before jumping in.
Meet our Sex & Relationships Editor here.